February 3, 2011: COLD! Some light snow chances - then a bigger system to watch

February 3, 2011

I am still up in northern Illinois.  Very cold up here - well below zero for our overnight lows.  Heading back home today. 

I am watching a chance for snow Friday night into Saturday.  I am thinking the potential exists for 2-4" over portions of Kentucky - to our east.  Right now I am leaning for a possible light event for portions of southern Illinois, southeast Missouri, western Kentucky, and western Tennessee.  Something in the 1-3" range. 

Some uncertainties still exist above the exact track of the upper level support for this storm.

So - let's keep an eye on the track and I will tweak the forecast as needed. 

I am starting to post video briefings. The newest video can be viewed by clicking on the link below
http://weatherobservatory.com/weather-video.htm

You can find more updates on my Facebook (under Beau Dodson Weather) - Twitter, as well.

If you would like to be added to the severe weather email list then please email me and request to be added

I usually send out an email during significant weather events.
Email me at beaudodson@usawx.com

Bottom line it for me Beau...


For southern Illinois and far western Kentucky...

The forecast for severe or extreme weather risk for today, tonight, and tomorrow:  Cold - otherwise no severe or extreme weather.

The forecast for freezing rain, sleet, or snow today, tonight, and tomorrow:  Will be watching for a chance of snow later on Friday and Friday night into Saturday morning.  Light accumulation not out of the question.  Still low confidence in this event.  Stay tuned and I will update the blog accordingly. 

Forecast:

Because I am in northern Illinois - I will give you this link to my page for the official NWS forecast for your area. 

Thursday into Friday - click here and put your zip code in for your forecast.

Your up to the minute National Weather Service seven day forecast for the region can be viewed by clicking here.  Enter your zip code or city and state (YOU MUST INCLUDE A COMMA AFTER YOUR CITY)  Example:  Vienna, Illinois

Your regional and local radars - including precipitation type radar - click here.

Barometer readings can be viewed here - Barometer Readings.

-----------------

I am watching another event for Sunday night into Tuesday.  Low confidence in this event - however, it could be a bigger storm system than the models and data are showing.  Something we will need to watch.  Another potential system later next week, as well.

BIG cold outbreak later next week - brrrr is the word for the next 7-10 days.


Active pattern for the next 3-4 weeks.


- Meteorologist Beau Dodson
McCracken County Office of Emergency Management

For the latest watches and warnings please visit your local National Weather Service Office http://www.weather.gov/organization.php

To view all watches and warnings in Kentucky - Click here

To view all watches and warnings in Illinois - Click here
Other States - Click Here

This site is non-profit and brought to you as a public service.

No comments:

Post a Comment