October 29, 2010: Welcome to brrrville

October 29, 2010:

Wow - did the forecast temperatures bust this morning - at least here at my place!  Colder than expected.  Loving it, though.  I am a fan of cold weather (well I am a fan of snow - cold weather is just part of the equation)!  Inside the instrument shelter - which is about 5-6' above the ground - I recorded a low of 22.5 degrees. 

Your morning weather map - click for larger view:





















I am currently reading 26.4 degrees on the digital thermometer here at my place in Massac County.  Quite a bit colder than expected.  Also some thick fog outside my window.  Visibility is less than 1/2 mile at times.  Watch for the fog and possibly some patchy ice on bridges (from the fog).

It reached 27 in Carbondale, 24 in Mt Vernon, 27 in Evansville, 27 in Cape Girardeau, and 31 in Paducah (although I am still waiting on the final numbers - that gives you an idea of the temperatures around the area).

You can view current conditions and tower cams by clicking here.

Looking around the Ohio Valley - temperatures - click for larger image.





















Ohio Valley Temperatures - from www.wright-weather.com

Your seven day forecast - click here.

Halloween weekend will be dry.  Coolish.  Highs in the 60s to near 70 and lows in the 40s (except for tonight - lots tonight in the 30s).  Nice for those who will be and out about at all of the fall festivities.  Enjoy!

Burn bans are still in effect.  Please don't burn brush or debris!  The fire departments would appreciate your efforts.  :)

The active pattern that I thought we were moving into is not materializing.  At least not for the next 7 days.  I guess we had a false start with that big storm last week.  I will take a deeper look at the long range data later this weekend.  There are still signals for some systems - past the near term forecast.  Will monitor.

- Meteorologist Beau Dodson
McCracken County Office of Emergency Management

For the latest watches and warnings please visit your local National Weather Service Office http://www.weather.gov/organization.php

No comments:

Post a Comment